ALERT: Oppose University of Washington Animal Lab Expansion! - EMAIL NOW
A recent Seattle Times article describes how the University of Washington has plans to build a new underground animal research facility. The UW already tortures thousands of animals and, if the new facility is built, the article states, “The new building would allow the UW to increase the number of rodents it uses in research by 10 to 20 percent, and the number of rabbits, pigs and primates by 30 to 50 percent.”
But the facility plans have not yet been approved! Due to the cost of the facility rising from $83 million to $123 million, the UW Board of Regents pulled the approval of the facility. The UW is working on proposal revisions to reduce the cost and gain the Board’s approval.
Help use this delay to convince the UW Board of Regents to NOT approve the new animal research facility!
Contact the Board of Regents now by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Politely write about why you do not want the board to approve the new animal research facility and your email will be shared with the Regents. Encourage your friends and family to also email.
- The new animal research facility will impact the UW more than just the cost of the facility. Other expenses will include:
- The UW has already been cited by the USDA multiple times for neglect and improper care of animals; such violations would increase if the UW is using more animals in research. View additional information about UW’s treatment of animals here.
- Combating the negative press that both local and national animal rights groups and other concerned citizens will create in response to a new animal research facility.
- Loss of alumni support and potential students who don’t want to be involved with a university whose record of animal neglect and torture is refreshed in the public eye.
- Since the UW is considered a leader in scientific research, the UW should be dedicated to pushing advancements in research technology rather than expanding its reliance on outdated and unethical animal research methods that produce inaccurate results.
If you are or have been a student at the UW (or have some other relationship to the UW), make that relationship clear in your email or public comment. Also keep in mind that the Board cares about the expense of the facility and its impact on the UW’s future.
- jimnasium likes this
- therealdarfman reblogged this from action4animals
- veganemelda reblogged this from angry-hippo
- rosieforshowsie likes this
- yourataribaby reblogged this from jo-discontent
- jo-discontent reblogged this from angry-hippo
- nothingxleft likes this
- feralmindxvx reblogged this from deevolutions
- deevolutions reblogged this from enterkylexvx
- anarcho-jam reblogged this from action4animals
- chamomileyes likes this
- davidcjauregui likes this
- rataroll reblogged this from yanny-boy
- enterkylexvx reblogged this from yanny-boy
- yanny-boy reblogged this from veganimaliberation
- ultraveganlove reblogged this from veganimaliberation
- veganimaliberation reblogged this from tempbunnyalliance
- angry-hippo reblogged this from tempbunnyalliance
- itsasecrettoeverybody likes this
- wherelightends likes this
- tempbunnyalliance reblogged this from sirensmoan
- 456c66 likes this
- 456c66 reblogged this from vega--lou
- sirensmoan reblogged this from vega--lou
- diarrhea-princess reblogged this from vega--lou
- vega--lou reblogged this from action4animals
- daisydollyhaze reblogged this from action4animals
- forestdemons likes this
- forestdemons reblogged this from action4animals
- saveacoweatyourneighbor likes this
- anarcho-jam likes this
- action4animals posted this